Life-changing events don’t happen every day. Maybe they do, and we just don’t realize it. I enjoyed being a lifeguard at The Wilds. I love water and I love hiking—both of which I spent much time around/doing throughout the fall and spring. A year ago today, I remember seeking G. for two things specifically, one of which was where He would have me in the future—whether to stay at The Wilds, or go abroad. He soon answered in a most unexpected way. I was preparing to lead the hike to the Second Falls, my ch. being the group that was going. One of the Shepherds of our body came to me and said, “Hey, have you ever thought about teaching English in China?” “Hmm…not really,” I replied. With a smile
on my face I said, “I don’t like Chinese food, Chinese culture—I’m not a big fan of China.” He laughed and said, “Well, pr. about it.” I did, and you see the result. I would love to tell how the L. orchestrated the events of the next few months to bring me here. Maybe in another post. That has been one of the most life-changing decisions the L. has led me in, and 3 months into it, I wouldn’t trade it for anything.I don’t know what you’re doing in life now. Hopefully it is exactly what the Father wants for you. If not, take these words of HT as an exhortation and encouragement. In a letter to his sister Amelia, written in the spring of 1856 at the age of 23, Taylor wrote the following:
“I long for you to be working here, not for my sake only, but for Js’ sake, and for the sake of the poor Chinese [or wherever G. may be calling you]. Look to the L. for guidance, and see your way very clearly as to the will of G. ... If you do come, let it not be to live with or near me. If G. grant it we shall be very thankful; if not we must be submissive. What He is training me for I cannot tell. May it be for His glory.... What I do want you to do is—to give up all to the L. And the more fully you do that the more He will give you back again, yes, more by far than you ever gave up for Him. May He guide and bless you for Js’ sake."
HT: Growth of a Soul, p. 372
Heritage is at The Wilds again this weekend. Hope the hike leader is ready to go to China.