Thursday, November 02, 2006

All-Saints Day & Reformation Day

Students love to learn about American culture, including holidays. Although I’m not a huge fan of Halloween, I felt obliged to inform them about this holiday. In doing my research, I learned much about the history of this festival. It began as a pagan celebration of the Celtic New Year. In the 800s, Pope Boniface IV desired to append a chr.-related holiday, and so the origination of ‘All-Saints Day.’ The archaic word for ‘Saints’ was ‘Hallows.’ Thus, the day before ‘All-Hallows Day’ was ‘All-Hallows Eve,’ which soon became known as ‘Hallowe’en.’ Maybe you already knew this. I guess it takes coming to China for me to learn some things. I like being a teacher.

I like being a teacher, too, because I can choose my content. And so, in addition to Halloween, my students now know about The Reformation. [An interesting side note: when I asked them if they knew who ‘Martin Luther’ was, nearly all of them said, “I have a dream….” What kind of history have these kids been learning?!] Maybe one day my lesson plan will include a history of Hudson Taylor. THAT could be interesting.

Ironically, or should I say, providentially, this ‘All-Saints Day’ held true to its name. An ETA sister informed me that two of her former students that she meets with weekly believed on Wednesday. ‘The One who has called us is faithful. He will surely do it.’ Remember their growth and sanctification. And thank you for interceding on their behalf and ours.

“A mighty fortress is our G., a bulwark never failing!”