Saturday, September 30, 2006

How Rich I Am

While working out with a veteran teacher (D. Jansen) he said, “You know, you really have to guard your heart here [in China].” As a guy, I assumed that he was speaking of guarding your heart against impurity, something that is definitely true. But his words took a different route. “You really have to guard your heart against the praise of the Chinese people. If you’re not careful, you’ll start to believe everything you hear.” Praise from the Chinese is frequent and often gratuitous. For example, notes such as the following are not infrequent: “I open my wallet, find no money; I open my pocket, find no coin; I open my life, find you, then I know how rich I am!” For a minute, the praise makes you feel good inside; then JC reminds me, “You were nothing but a wretched sinner like him until I redeemed you with my blood; don’t boast in anything except MY cross.” I have nothing to offer of my own goodness, but I have a Treasure that is invaluable. I must remember that it is the treasure that I am presenting, not myself. I may have to leave China tomorrow, or I may die; but if they receive the Treasure, that is when they will “know how rich they are!” Remember us: “for what we proclaim is not ourselves, but JC as L, with ourselves as your servants for J’ sake.”