"...the apple tree"
Tonight as Mathew and I ate our traditional holiday meal of pizza, we talked about some of the different metaphors for JC—“I am the Bread, Light, Door, Shepherd, Vine.” It was good for me to think about all that G is for me in JC. And I am thankful for metaphors that help me to understand Him better. One such is related in a song that I have grown to love in recent years (thanks to my brother and sister’s guidance). When I first heard the title, it took me by surprise—“Does he ever refer to Himself as an apple tree!?” Thankfully, my brother helped me: Song of Songs 2:3 - "As an apple tree among the trees of the forest, so is my beloved among the young men." As I have learned the words, I’ve grown to love what it teaches me of Him.
JC the Apple Tree
The tree of life my soul hath seen,
Laden with fruit and always green:
The trees of nature fruitless be
Compared with C the apple tree.
His beauty doth all things excel:
By faith I know, but ne'er can tell
The glory which I now can see
In JC the apple tree.
For happiness I long have sought,
And pleasure dearly I have bought:
I missed of all; but now I see
'Tis found in C the apple tree.
I'm weary with my former toil,
Here I will sit and rest awhile:
Under the shadow I will be,
Of JC the apple tree.
This fruit doth make my soul to thrive,
It keeps my dying faith alive;
Which makes my soul in haste to be
With JC the apple tree.
On this Christmas Day, this song has gained a new meaning for me. I’ve learned of a new Chinese tradition—that of giving an apple to a loved one on Christmas Eve. “Why an apple?” you may ask (as I did). The Chinese word for apple is 苹果 (píngguǒ). This word is very similar in pronunciation to the Chinese word for peace 平安 (píngān). So, in the giving of an apple, you are wishing peace upon the recipient. JC is our peace, our ‘apple tree.’ He is the Fruit among the fruitless trees of this world; He is Beauty and Glory; He is our Happiness, our Satisfaction; He is our Rest from toil; and He is our Hope—that which we long for until we see Him. He is.
I'm thankful for China. I miss my family this Christmas, more than I can say. But it has been worth it to learn more of who He is.
圣诞快乐 (Merry Christmas)