Sunday, August 20, 2006

"If I had 1,000 lives, I’d give them all for China.” These were the words of Hudson Taylor, pioneer missionary to China, over 150 years ago. What made him say this? A desire to see the King glorified and the Kingdom expanded more than anything else.

I am in no way comparing myself to the likes of a Hudson Taylor. His faithfulness and commitment to The Master will be paralleled by few. But it was through this commitment and faithfulness that The Master opened a door for the Good News in the mid-1800’s, a door that has swung widely open again for us. Now I am privileged to be a part of this Kingdom-work.

On November 11, 2005, one of the leaders of our local body approached me and said, “Have you ever thought about teaching English in China?” I kind of laughed and said, “No. I don’t like China–the culture, the food, anything!” He smiled and said, “Well, ‘think’ about it.” I did, and The Master turned my heart around completely. Within a month I met with a representative of ETA and the road to China began. I was presently on progam staff at The Wilds Camp, where I have spent the last 9 summers. Many people asked, “Why would you leave a great place like The Wilds?” I asked myself this same question. While I cannot give a concrete answer, it was crystal clear that The Master was leading me to some form of foreign ministry. In early February of 2006, I had the opportunity to spend 9 days in Ban Lung, Cambodia, with J.D. Crowley and Joshua Jensen. The effect that this time had on my life may not be fully known this side of eternity. As I left Cambodia, my heart was torn–I wanted to stay and work with the Crowley’s, I wanted to go teach English in China, and I wanted to stay at the Wilds. Over the next two weeks, The Master confirmed in my heart His call to teach English in China. I now embark on this journey with some fear, some excitement, much joy, and great expectations.

As for the title of this blog…Treasure in a Field. Have you ever found something so incredibly valuable that everything else you possessed not only seemed worthless in light of that find, but was actually a loss? Matthew speaks of the Kingdom as a “treasure hidden in a field, which, when a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all that he had and bought that field.” I have often looked at the work of the Kingdom as something I do “just because I’m a believer.” The Master has begun to change my heart to view His work as priceless–worth giving up everything for. And not only giving up everything, but doing it with joy! That is the desire of my heart. I hope it will be yours, too.

I encourage you to visit this site for updates. I hope to share news of my students, my family back in the states, my ETA “family,” and whatever else may come up. Thanks for visiting. Gb.